Americans for Tax Fairness, a coalition of national and state endorsing organizations active on high-profile federal tax reform issues is seeking a Campaign Director to manage a cross-cutting public education, lobbying and political program in support of a federal wealth tax, such as that proposed by Senator Elizabeth Warren. Candidates should have at least seven years of experience as a director or leader in issue advocacy and/or political campaigns and significant coalition-building experience and field mobilization experience. This is a senior, full-time exempt position that reports directly to the Executive Director. It is strongly preferred that the position be located in Washington, D.C. The position offers a salary of $100,000 to $120,000, depending on experience, and a competitive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Americans for Tax Fairness
- Manage implementation of an overall strategy in support of taxing the ultra-wealthy and billionaires, with a primary emphasis on a wealth tax, which employs cross-cutting activities: public education, coalition building, field mobilization, lobbying, legacy communications and digital media.
- Primary responsibility is coalition building with D.C.-based groups and working with national coalition partners to broaden reach and secure commitments.
- Secondary responsibility will be field mobilization—working with national coalition partners and allies that have state affiliates and occasionally with independent state groups.
- Work with ATF’s legislative and policy director to implement a lobbying strategy in Congress to deepen support for a wealth tax and taxing the wealthy. At times, this may involve significant lobbying work.
- Work with ATF’s communications team on earned media and digital media strategies, including email activities and social media.
- Work with ATF’s research and policy team to identify and craft products that will be useful for motivating coalition partners and educating the public about a wealth tax.
- Draft written materials such as campaign strategy memos, field mobilization and training materials, and talking points for activists.
- Maintain knowledge of wealth tax issues and of tax-related developments in Congress.
- Regularly liaise with other key stakeholders interested in pursuing a wealth tax, including funders.
Additionally, the person holding this position may also work part-time for a coordinated project, Americans for Tax Fairness Action Fund, in the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, under a resource sharing agreement between the New Venture Fund and Sixteen Thirty Fund. The responsibilities under that position will be overseen by Sixteen Thirty Fund.
- Minimum of seven years of combined employment in an advocacy organization; political or field departments; and/or in federal or state candidate campaigns.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a leader and to motivate coalition partners.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate field mobilization work and communications work, ideally both legacy communications and digital communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under a fast-paced campaign environment and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Good writing and messaging skills for preparing campaign plans, project reports, ensuring messaging and public education materials are appropriate for the field, and preparing field mobilization materials.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of economic and racial equity issues and federal tax and budget issues very helpful.
- Considerable experience with Microsoft Word and Excel and with Google Docs.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Subject line: Wealth Tax Campaign Director
Americans for Tax Fairness is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.