This is NOT the “Best Christmas Present of All”; It’s a Disgrace.
Upon final House passage of the GOP Tax Bill, Frank Clemente, executive director of Americans for Tax Fairness, issued the following statement:
“This monstrosity is not tax reform. It’s a money grab by the richest 1% and the wealthiest corporations, period. It will be paid for by raising taxes on millions of working families and raiding Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other critical services they cherish and depend on. Plainly speaking: a vote for this bill is a vote to inflict harm on millions of hardworking families to please corporate campaign donors and the six thousand lobbyists who pushed for it.
“Americans won’t forget. They’ll remember who swindled them to give tax breaks to billionaires and corporations that ship jobs offshore. They’ll remember who is taking away healthcare from 13 million people while lowering taxes for Donald Trump and his heirs.
“Over the past several months, the more people learned about this tax scam, the more unpopular it became. That trend will only continue as its harsh effects become more apparent in the light of day. The American people have a big heart. They care for one another and for their community, especially at this time of year–a season of giving. This measure and its long-term effects will take away from those who are most in need and most deserving and give to those who are the most comfortable and well-off. That’s not the ‘best Christmas present of all.’ It’s a disgrace.”
FACTS ABOUT THE GOP TAX SCAM:
- 83% of the tax cuts will go to the richest 1% by 2027.
- Raises taxes on 92 million middle-class families by 2027.
- Increases the deficit by at least $1.5 trillion, which will jeopardize Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, education, and other critical services.
FACTS ABOUT GRASSROOTS OPPOSITION TO THE BILL:
- A broad coalition of progressive groups generated over 920,000 tracked phone calls to Congress in opposition to the GOP Tax Scam.
- Many of these same groups helped coordinate and track nearly 800 grassroots events since October in House districts and target Senate states across the country in protest of the GOP Tax Scam.
- This bill is historically unpopular, and according to a CNN poll released today (December 19, 2017), 55% of Americans disapprove of the plan, a 10 point increase in disapproval since early November. The more Americans learn of the plan, the more unpopular it becomes.