Numerous public opinion polls show that voters overwhelmingly support making the rich and corporations pay their fair share of taxes. A movement is growing for comprehensive progressive tax reform so that we can reduce inequality and make the economy work for all of us. Our goal is to raise $10 trillion over the next 10 years—we lost $2 trillion from the Trump-GOP tax cuts. But will we be able to seize this moment?
Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) is working to do just that, uniting every corner of the progressive community behind its highly-organized effort, without which we will not succeed at making the wealthy and corporations pay their fair share. As the leader in this fight since 2012, ATF has built a coalition of more than 400 national and state endorsing organizations and mobilizes them to educate the public and push policymakers to support the reforms Americans are demanding. Right now, ATF is:
- Providing strategic direction and coordination to the coalition. Comprised of leading unions, think tanks, advocacy organizations, constituency-based groups, field groups, and Netroots organizations at the national and state level, coalition partners participate in a dynamic effort that includes polling and messaging research; national and state communications strategies; field mobilization; and development of research, policy and public education materials. See ATF Coalition Endorsers.
- Playing the leading role in shaping progressive tax reform messaging. ATF identifies and disseminates winning messages on tax fairness issues to policymakers, coalition partners and the media so that allies are singing from the same songbook. We do this by conducting polls and aggregating information from other public polls, and by preparing messaging materials that are adjusted as new issues and developments occur in the tax-reform debate.
- Executing a robust communications program. ATF and its state partners secure 500 to 1,000 news stories and media mentions a year through earned media events, releasing ground-breaking reports, placing op-eds and letters to the editor, and educating opinion writers. ATF’s digital communications program mobilizes activists through email and social media and engages Netroots groups and other coalition partners. We have a 750,000-person email list, 200,000 Facebook fans and 10,000 Twitter fans as of December 2019.
- Coordinating coalition lobbying efforts in Congress and at the grassroots level. ATF coordinates national partners’ lobbyists to deliver a strong message to Congress. ATF mobilizes national and state groups to build a grassroots presence at meetings with policymakers, town halls, media events and to deliver our messages through email and social media.
- Convening leading think tanks and constituency groups to identify research and policy needs and to prepare public education materials. ATF assists policymakers in developing progressive tax reform proposals and prepares scores of reports and fact sheets each year used to educate policymakers, the public and the media.